Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sam Bell Costume: A Shopping List

With all the great comments on my Sam Bell Costume that was posted on the ManMadeMovies site and all the people who are genuinely excited about it, I decided to put together a shopping list of links to where a person can assemble their own Sam Bell costume.
US fans be warned, most of the parts are only available in the UK, expect to spend a good portion of the total price on international shipping.  But its totally worth it. :)

First, the Grey Flight Suit
I knew finding the right flight suit was key.  I have firends who cosplay as Ghostbusters so I knew a bit about the styles of US flight suits and I could tell this suit was different - better, with more pockets and a more form fitting cut.  After looking at just about every pair of  grey coveralls on the net I finally found a small image of what looked like the correct grey suit.
Turns out its a German Air Force flight suit.








Here is a direct link:
Bundeswehr flight suit - grey











Next up, the Shoes
Sam's shoes are awesome, I love how the toes are covered in a greyish suede, it makes it look like they are covered in moon dust.
The correct shoes are a Hi-Tec brand Squash shoe, available only in the UK.
Hi-Tec sells shoes in the US, but only hiking and running shoes.
The idea of spending $60 on a shoe that I never tried on was a bit daunting, and the US to UK size conversion charts didn't ease my worry - but I came up with a brilliant idea.  I found a local store that carried Hi-Tec brand running shoes and went and tried them on.  Then when I found my size I just looked at the tag and noted what the UK size was, worked great.







Here is the direct link:
Hi-Tec Classic Squash Trainer











With the Shoes, we'll talk Socks
Three stripe yellow and white socks are a bit harder to find then you'd think. Google it to see for yourself.  I was finally able to find some at a American Apparel and lucky me they have a store in Denver.  The socks were one of two pieces that are available in the US and the only piece I was able to buy locally - Yay!









Here is a direct link
Stripe Calf-High Sock










Before I forget, The Patches
Probably more important then the Socks or Shoes are the Patches. There are 7 patches on the Sam Bell flight suit, and I love each of them, the artwork and graphics on Moon are so awesome.
I checked around with some of the patch places I knew about in the US, but they only had 6 of the 7 patches, they were missing the large Checker board patch that goes on the left arm.  Thru searching the UK ebay I found a place called Blue Tiger Trading in the UK.  They had the complete 7 patch set.





Here is the Direct link
Moon Patch Set




















Best for last, Sam's Watch
The most asked about part of the Costume - Sam's awesome watch.
Whoever's idea it was to use this watch is brilliant.  Its futuristic looking, very sleek and simple.
It's a DIESEL brand watch, model DZ7076.  Its no longer made.  Luckily there still are some available online.







Here are a few direct links:
Diesel Men's Digital Black Leather Watch
Diesel Men's Digital Black Leather Watch
Diesel Men's Digital Black Leather Watch









That about does it for the "list of links" for the Sam Bell Flight Suit costume.  I hope everyone enjoys it and is able to put together their own awesome costume.

Maybe one day we can have 20+ Sam Bells crash a Con somewhere....

Feel free to drop me a tweet

9 comments:

  1. I know it's nit picky, but what about the shades Sam wears in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Timothy, Its not nit picky at all, I should have mentioned them. :) The ones used in the movie were Ray-Ban brand. But I would think any gold frame, black lens Aviators would would well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I'm making the jumpsuit but have a problem with the patch on the back of the jumpsuit.Could you please send me a PDF of this patch and tell me what you printed the patch on.
    If you could do this it would make my day.
    BIG,BIG Thanks

    The address to send it to is filmprop@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I've been putting a Sam Bell costume together for the last few months as well, and stumbled onto this breakdown, which is has help substantially. I have a few quick questions about the suit sizing and the patch on the back of the flight suit if you have the time.

    Thanks,

    Steffan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post knocked a good couple hours of research off my project. Thanks for that! I'm in the same boat as the last two posters in that I'm currently stuck on the back patch. Any insights?

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys like this. I plan on making a few silk screened back patches, I just need to find the time to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been wearing Hi-Tec squash trainers for years and clocked them as soon as I seen them. Great trainers for very little!

    ReplyDelete